Monday 3 May 2010

Google Analytics

What can I say? It turns out I am not that popular...in the blogosphere, anyway. I logged on to see my Google Analytics report with some excitement, ready to see that thousands of people have read my blog, loved it, and told all their friends. Alas, it was not so. Though, as my title indicates, the past few weeks have included a lot of ranting, so who am I to blame the masses for not getting on board? Sorry, enough of my fishing for compliments from my avid readers. I have actually done OK, with 485 visitors registered on my blog, and Google Analytics coming up with 179. So, let us get on with the analysing.
I was particularly excited about the map- what strange and wonderful countries will turn up? ‘Not many’, appears to be the answer. Just over 80% of my traffic was from the UK. This is not very surprising considering Predominantly Ranting was written in the UK, in English, about things pertaining to the UK. Still, I am a tad disappointed Timbuktu did not register.
Though the throng of countries did not materialise, something I did find interesting was what website the traffic came from. It seems like my informing my friends on Facebook that my new blog was up has drummed up significant support. However, Twitter acquired very little visits, even though I had tweeted every time I uploaded a blog. Apparently, I garnered 41 visits from Facebook, while Twitter only gave me 5 (though perhaps I should include the 3 from Hootsuite, which would have also been from my tweets).

Overall, my Google Analytics was not hugely interesting for anyone but me. This is only because this blog is fairly small and pretty internalised among our classmates. However, I definitely see the potential value of Google Analytics for larger websites or blogs particularly for PR campaigns and the like. It is a good way of highlighting your current publics and then using them as a base to expand on or deciding to focus in on a particular section of your existing publics. Also, for evaluation purposes I can see how this is an incredibly useful tool. To be able to monitor where, when and for how long someone was on your website is brilliant. It can only add more brilliance by being free!

No comments:

Post a Comment